Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (FCX) is a leading international mining company that specializes in the exploration, mining, and processing of mineral resources, primarily copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company’s headquarters are in Phoenix, Arizona, and its shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “FCX.”
Freeport-McMoRan’s mining operations are primarily located in North America, South America, and Indonesia. The company’s most notable assets include:
- Grasberg Mine (Indonesia): One of the largest copper and gold mines in the world, the Grasberg Mine is located in the Papua province of Indonesia. It is a major source of revenue for Freeport-McMoRan and is known for its significant reserves of both copper and gold.
- Morenci Mine (United States): This large open-pit copper mine is located in Arizona, United States. It is one of the largest copper producers in North America and a key asset in Freeport-McMoRan’s portfolio.
- Cerro Verde Mine (Peru): Cerro Verde is an open-pit copper and molybdenum mining complex located in Peru. The mine is one of the largest copper producers in the country and plays a significant role in Freeport-McMoRan’s operations.
- El Abra Mine (Chile): This copper mine, located in Chile, is an open-pit operation managed through a partnership between Freeport-McMoRan and the Chilean state-owned copper mining company, Codelco.
- Climax Molybdenum (United States): Freeport-McMoRan is also a leading producer of molybdenum through its Climax Molybdenum subsidiary, which operates mines in Colorado and Arizona.